Tuesday, February 11, 2014

TV back then

Mad About You.  Remember that show?  Paul Reiser, Helen Hunt and Murray the Dog.  I LOVE this show.  They are replaying it now and I'm taping them to watch at my leisure.  I forgot how seriously funny and well written this show was.  Why isn't it on anymore??  COME BACK!  Why do all the good shows go away? 

I realize that some run their course and there's just no where left to go.  Those shows where the kids where in school and now they've all graduated.  Or the kids were born and are now all grown and moved out.  Or some that were so mind numbing but still good until the mind numbing just became boring.  But those other shows, those ones that can never get old because they're based on daily lives.  Why do they have to go.  Mad About You, Friends, The Golden Girls, Alice, Quantum Leap, Night Court, Saint Elsewhere.  They were such good, timeless shows.  As I'm watching these episodes off my DVR, you'd never know they were originally aired 20 years ago.  The clothes give it away somewhat, but other then that, it's everyday conversations, arguments, daily stresses of marriage and life in general.  And they make you smile and say ME TOO! 

Those are the shows that last.  The ones you can get behind because they hit close to home.  They make you feel a part of it.  Like you could just slip right into the scene and play along. And those are the ones you miss the most when they're gone.  There really isn't any shows like that on right now.  Most of them are reality game shows, or science fiction or crime shows.  Not light, happy, I feel ya shows.  Maybe that's why society is so messed up these days.  Television is corrupting our brains. 

This really made a lot of sense in my head, but I'm so tired right now, I don't think I put it together as well as I could have.  Oh Well, You get the idea.  Old TV good, New TV Meh!

No comments: