Thursday, February 6, 2014

You want a knish with that?

My Jewish Mother guilt trip is PERFECT.  John came in and told Nick he should really go out and help the neighbor shovel his driveway.  Nick basically blew him off.  I came out and told him "The neighbor has been ill.  He's out there doing it all alone.  Come here, look at him!  He looks exhausted!  But if you don't want to it's ok.  I just think it would make you such a better person.  It would really be nice to help out someone else.  Just think of how grateful he would be. But I understand... " As he puts on his shoes and goes outside to help the neighbor ... "Do NOT accept any money from him!"  Hee Hee

I asked Calli to help me cook and she whined.  She did about 2 things and then said she was done.  I gave it the old, "Fine don't help me.  I'll just do it myself like I always do.  I'm going to turn this house into the Little Red Hen Story.  I buy the groceries. I put them away. I prepare everything.  I cook everything and clean it all up.  If no one helps, no one gets to have any.  But it's fine.  I'll just do it ALL."  She was so upset, that she put herself in the bathroom to cry for a bit. (This is her new favorite crying spot.)  She then came in the kitchen and finished helping with lunch and dinner prep with lots of "Oh, I'll do that for you Mamma."

I know this may not be the best parenting, but it's been working for 1,000s of years.  So, I'm gonna keep it up.  Maybe if I do it right, they will be able to do it with their own children and so the tradition will continue and Mothers for generations after me will get their way.

No comments: