Wednesday, July 23, 2008

OMG, I was so caught up in the surgery mess up and lack of cash that I totally forgot to do a weekend recap. (Thanks Mark)

So, a big group of us went camping this weekend at Kittatiny Canoes in NY. It was pretty cool. John and I got there first. We were all set up by the time Shell and Tim got there. We had gotten 2 sites right across from each other because there was a lot of us.

Me, John, Nick, Calli, Shell, Tim, Brit, Tyler, Meredith (I don't think that's right, is that right?), Mark, Kim, Allison, Eric & Liz.

When Shell got there, we helped them and Allison set their stuff up. As we're setting up the tents, Shell says, "OMG, look, it's an opossum!! Uhm... wait, no, that's not an opossum!!!" I look up to see a very pretty skunk about 30 feet away. I turn to the kids and say DON"T MOVE, AND DON'T OPEN YOUR MOUTHS!! All we needed was to have one of the kids scream and everything gets sprayed. That would have made for a very very very bad weekend. We just waited for him to smell everything and make his way out. Of course my genius husband decided he was taking to long to move and started throwing shit at it. Dumb ass. Luckily Pepe Le Pue decided to move along and set up continued. Mark and Kim came a little later and they set up. By about 10 or 11 we were all done. The kids had been put to bed and John and I were beat. We were total bums. We went to bed. But John had been up for over 24 hours by the point and I'm just old. LOL

There was a REALLY big group across from us that was loud and had their music blasting. I thought there was no way I was going to sleep, but in 10 minutes, I was OUT. John too.

The next morning we got up, had breakfast and got our suits on. The campground is across the street from the Delaware River. We went down and got the guys fishing licenses and bait and then headed down. (no fish were caught or harmed in the making of this vacation - I can't say the same for the worms). The kids were having a blast swimming in the water, which was 78 degrees by the way. Really nice. Allison decided she was gonna take Brittnee further upstream so they could float down. Sounds like fun right? So I grabbed the kids and joined her. Turned out the nearest place to get down to the river again was a good 1/2 mile away and a the far side of some light rapids.

Tip #1 - $1 flip flops do NOT help you walk in a raging river... hinder is more like it.

Tip #2 - Holding on to two kids while wearing flip flops that will break your neck, is not wise.

We got in the water. I held Calli (wearing her floatation vest) in one arm and Nick holding my other arm for dear life. I try going on my belly. The water is only about 2 feet deep with huge rocks on the bottom, but it's rushing very fast. Going on my belly wasn't working cause water was rushing in my face and I couldn't see the upcoming rocks. I flip to my back thinking that I could use my feet to slow us down. No luck. My stupid shoes just slide right over the rocks. Now, I can't stop. We're rushing down the river. My back, legs, feet and ankles are being smashed into the rocks. Let's just say panic is not the right word. TERRIFIED would be closer to what I was feeling. My grip on the kids kept loosening. I just had flashes before my eyes of loosing my grip all together on one or both of them and having to watch as they got swept down the river, neither being able to swim well enough to stay alive. THAT WAS IT. I found my feet and planted them. OUT, EVERYONE OUT! It took a good 15-20 minutes for us to make our way to shore. Then we walked the 1/2 mile back.

Allison and Brit fared much better and floated their way down. Looked relaxing and fun... oh well.

NEVER AGAIN. I was mentally exhausted by the time we got back. I haven't been that scared in a long time.

We went back to the campground, ate lunch and then went to the pool. Ahhhhh, the pool. How nice. Although there were about 4,000 people in the pool, most of them were in the shallow end, so it wasn't too bad. COLD AS HELL, but nice. It was really hot all weekend. I'll take a crowded pool ANY DAY over the killer Delaware.

We had dinner, the kids roasted shmallows and had s'mores and were sent to bed. Let the Beer Pong Begin! Eric and I were teamed up... jerk kept me on the table the whole night! LOL We kept winning! Which means I kept drinking. By the last game, I had a really good buzz going and needed to go to bed, badly!

Kids got up the next day early as usual. We had everything packed up and ready to go shortly after the others woke up. We're quick! We like to have it all done so we can chill the rest of the day until we leave. Breakfast, clean up, pack up. We left before the others so we could stop by my Mom's which was about 2 min down the road.

All in all it was an ok weekend. I wasn't impressed by the campground. The bathrooms were gross, the sites sucked (lots of rocks, trees and roots), the pool wasn't very clean and the cars were flying up and down the roads (5 mph speed limit - yeah right!) I think I'm spoiled by our PA campground. It's just really nice there. This place was WAY too big for their staff to handle, way too many people. Too crowded for me. But hey, you have to try out new places. It's nice to find places with other attractions near by. It was cool to be in the Delaware (drowning not withstanding) so that was a plus for this place.

Best Wishes to Kim and her family. Kim's uncle passed away on Saturday and so Mark and Kim left at the crack of dawn on Sunday so she could drive down south for the services. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

No comments: