Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Shockingly, I'm actually feeling a little better about the move. I spent Monday on the phone with folks from the FL board of education. I got the right people this time and got to hear the things I needed to hear.

They are well prepared for all of Nick's needs. They will evaluate his IEP as soon as I get it to them and work on placement. They said that if the school district I am in does not have the services he requires, I can put him in any of the other public schools I want. Most of the public schools offer special programs for kids like Nick. If that is also not appropriate, they have Charter schools that he can go too which are even more specialized. If neither of these systems will work for him, then he can go to a specialized school as a last resort (that's the one you have to get scholarships for). Both women I spoke with were very well informed.

By some miracle, the weekend that I will be down there house hunting is the same weekend that they are having an Autism Festival. In going to this, I will be able to meet most of the teachers, the doctors in the area, the psychiatrist, the therapist, the people who run summer programs, basically everyone that I will need for his care, treatment and education will be at this event. How perfect is that!! It made me relax sooooo much, I can't even tell you. It was like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. It took me 6 + months and a nervous breakdown when I had to find him all that the first time. The thought of having to do that again was daunting.

Although I'm still not 100% happy about this move, I'm at least not panicking that it will be a devastating decision for Nick. I think that was my biggest fear. He's doing so well in this school and finally had all his treatment in place, I was terrified to change that. But it looks like it will be ok. PHHHeeewwwww.

So now my only distress is to leave my friends and family. I can't tell you how much it hurts. I can't imagine not being able to go over to Shell's for no reason (which I plan to do today hee hee) or do game night, work out with Lea every morning, or have my mom stop over after work, or go to her house for the day so the kids can race around the yard and feed the deer. But, the phones work. I plan to be a telephone nuisance.

Trust me, I have gone over and over it in my head. I have tried my damndest to figure out how we could stay, but it's just not an option. I would have to get a full time job, which wouldn't be a big deal except for the fact that Calli starts Kindergarten in Sept. so I would have to be allowed an 1 1/2 for lunch to pick her up and drop her off. Not to mention that Nick can not go to an after school program so I would have to be home by 3:30. No one will hire me to work from 8:30 - 2:30 with an hour and a half lunch and still pay me over $45,000 a year. It just wont happen. So the decision is made. And although it wont make everyone happy, it's the only option there is.

So be happy for me. Encourage me. Tell me all the great things about living in FL. Send me happy vibes about all of it cause if everyone keeps telling me that we can't go cause they'll miss us, I'm going to cry for the next 2 months straight!! HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Florida's awesome!!! It has to be, or else all the old people wouldn't want to be there.

Some great points:
Lots and lots and LOTS of sunshine. Perma-tan. 9 months of warm to hot weather. 2 oceans to choose from. Great seafood. 1 rainy season where the clouds unleash hell at 4pm for 15 minutes every day (no joke), and then the sun comes right back. Sometimes the sun doesn't even disappear when it rains (awesome). No icy roads. Bottle-brush trees. Banana Trees. Flowers of every size, shape, and color, *always in bloom.* Disney, Universal, Sea World, Bush Gardens - and a FL Resident discount!

Melbourne specifically: Melbourne itself is a bird reservation - you AND the kids are going to LOVE all the birds you'll see! Sand Hill cranes are 3 1/2 feet tall and just beautiful. The beaches are beautiful. Old downtown Melbourne is full of quaint little restaurants and shopping. EVERYONE wears flip-flops, ALWAYS. The Brevard Zoo is awesome, cheap, AND you get to feed the giraffes! Constant breeze 'cause you're so close to the ocean (no it's not quite as hot as inland).

Best of all - you can totally skype or AOL for live video conversation FREE (everyone go get a video cam for less than $50) and you can totally keep in face-to-face touch! We do it with all our FL & TX relatives, and it's easy and fun!

I'm so relieved that you will be there during the Autism festival - WOW. Almost like it's meant to be, huh???

LOVE YOU! -- Marg

Anonymous said...

It IS Fate! Things have a way of working out, huh? Maybe it's thanks to grandma who keeps looking out for you!?

Awesome news and I am thrilled for you.

Donna